Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Long Novel: AKA characters that won't shut up!

I've begged. I've pleaded. I've looked at my little word counter and my self imposed deadline and can only come to the conclusion that  my schedule is forever ruined and it's all his fault...he wont' shut up because he's "not done yet".

So, I've given up the fight and given in to the fact that Ravyn Warriors 5 will most likely be the longest of the series to date. We're sitting at 51k with no climax (haha I said climax) and Dru and his mates will not hush up. There is too much to say, too much to do, and right now Druas is in a real pickle and I don't know how I'm going to get him out of it. In short, I'm being run by my characters.

It's funny talking to some of my other friends who, as I'm bemoaning my fate, tell me that I just need to end it and ask how I'm not in control of my characters. Those of you who write realize that trying to change your character's mind is kind of like arguing with a toddler: They're illogical and if you manage to shut them up, the universe doesn't seem right and nothing seems to go as plan. When you take the fight out of them, they become insubstantial and less real, at least in my experience. **SIGHS** So, I guess I'll just have to put up with him and his troubles (I love you, Dru) and suck it up like a big kid because, after all, I'm the adult in this relationship.

For listening to me ramble, er, reading me ramble...whatever, I'll give you guys a little hint at what I'm going to make Dru do after he's finished writing my fingers off. Enjoy. :P

2 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to #5..I can't get enough of the Ravyn's. The more words the better:-)
    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvette. :) I can honestly say that I love them to death. Dru's story was a trip to get through and I'm excited to see everyone's reaction to his story.

      Delete