Friday, August 1, 2014

Okay...I'm gonna get on a glitter soap box

Hello lovelies! 


I'm not that author that goes on rants. Honestly, I don't have enough time for all that and drama normally isn't my cup-o-tea. I love and appreciate my readers. I am very grateful for the success that I have had in the MM genre and the wonderful group of authors that I am privileged to be among. So with that disclaimer out of the way, here is my rant. 

Recently, I've seen a little bit of buzz about authors who portray themselves as male and who are in fact female. (Do I know who these people are? No. Do I care? Nah. Not really.)  

People are scandalized and feel deceived . 

People are kind of silly.

Why feel betrayed because someone doesn't put their given gender on their books? Why should it change the way someone feels about that author's work? If the work is good, then it is good. If you like their personality, the gender shouldn't matter.  

The problem I am having is that some feel entitled to unlimited, honest access to the authors in question. Honestly, they're not entitled to anything other than a copy of the work they bought. If an author gives you any access into who they are as a person, it's a privilege, not a right. 

Don't get me wrong, I love you all. I enjoy having you in my life but I don't feel that I am obligated to tell you about everything I go through in my life. Why I choose to write under a male name, a female name, or a nongender conforming pronoun, it's my business and no one else's. Do I agree with deceiving people you're close to? No. But this isn't the same thing. 

I think the point I'm getting to with this is that maybe instead of being personally offended by these authors, maybe ask whether or not this is really any of your beeswax.    

 On that note, thank you for listening to my glitter soap box rant. Next blog post I promise will be less ranty and much more fun. :) 

best wishes!

2 comments:

  1. I feel privileged to be able to interact with some of my favorite authors. And it is a privilege, authors have a right to their privacy. It is their choice what and how much they share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel privileged to have your readership, Laurie. :) <3

      Jana

      Delete