Monday, February 3, 2014

Hitting the Ground Running

Hello Lovelies!

I just wanted to let everyone know, I am not dead or dismembered or anything else that goes along with being MIA for an extended period of time (for me anyway :P). I have been working like a mad woman on meeting deadlines this week and trying to figure out stuff for moving (more on this particular topic in a moment) and it has been sweat-inducing.

I finished two pieces and sent them off to the publisher this month, Cold Calling [Deadzone 3] and Bound by Discretion [Owned]. I just sent off a series proposal for me and Gabrielle Evans that we'll start this month. *wipes forehead* It's got everything awesome in a series, hot boys, curses, and various paranormals that should rock your socks off.

I SWEAR I haven't forgotten about the angels. They're coming. I just have to hammer out the logistics with Madigan and the others. War is a messy complicated thing and they're finding out how much actual planning goes into it right along with me.

SO, back to work! I have many, many things on my to-do list today and only so many hours to squeeze them all in.

Until then, here is the lovely cover for the new Deadzone, and a little excerpt as well to tide you over until the release. Thank you all for being such wonderful readers!

Best,
Jana

Unedited Excerpt

Brook cursed as he tried to reach for the cup of water the nurses had brought him and failed miserably. Of course they put it on the side of the bed with his broken fucking arm. He glared at the call button on his bed. They’d probably take forever getting here unless he unplugged his heart monitor again. Fuckers.
He resented his dads for sticking him in an overnight suite “just in case”. He was fine. They’d already set his arm, stitched his cheek, and cleared him to leave. There was no reason why he was stuck hooked up to an IV until morning. Just because the mission had gone south and he’d sustained a few injuries didn’t mean they could lock him up in a hospital. 
A soft knock on the door interrupted his internal tirade against his fathers, the hospital staff, and the uncomfortable bed.
“Come in!” he yelled. If it was that snotty nurse what’s-his-name he was going to give him a peace of his mind. He probably set the tray on his right side on purpose.
The know-it-all nurse wasn’t the one to open the door. Brook’s heart skipped a beat when Daniel came through the door carrying orange flowers of some kind. “Hi,” Daniel greeted, shifting nervously from foot to foot. “I thought you could use some company.”
He’d known Daniel McCarthy since he was an elementary school kid and had liked him just as long. He was a sweet guy, a cherub as Andrew Ainsley had aptly named him. With a cute round face and a round little bubble butt, Daniel was a wet dream walking.
“If it’s your company, I definitely could,” Brook said, giving Daniel his best come-hither smile.
Daniel was always so nervous when they were together, like he couldn’t believe Brook would have any interest in him whatsoever. He was so incredibly wrong it wasn’t even humorous. He’d give his left nut for a naked tango with him. However, he couldn’t figure out a way to get him to realize that. The last time he’d invited him over for drinks, the guy had cancelled on him.
Daniel gave him a shaky smile. “Cool.” He lifted up the orange blossoms. “Flowers. Uh, the gift shop said these shouldn’t bother your allergies.”
Brook nodded. “They’re good looking flowers from a good looking guy.” He winked as Daniel’s face caught on fire. You’re so damn cute. “I appreciate you taking my allergies into account.”
“N-no problem.” Daniel busied himself with arranging the flowers in the vase by the sink and silence descended, the only thing between them the things that were left unsaid.
“You really saved my ass on mission. If I hadn’t had your eyes, I don’t know if we would’ve made it.” Brook wasn’t exaggerating in the least bit. The retrieval mission of the Deadzone sponsored runner, Andrew Ainsley, had gone wrong almost from the start. Daniel’s navigation around zombie hoards had been necessary for his survival.
“I’m sure you would’ve been okay without me,” Daniel mumbled, walking over to the table and picking up his water before offering it and a straw for Brook to drink. He always underestimated his worth. The man was priceless.
Brook took a grateful sip of his drink. “I wouldn’t have,” he said when he finished.
“Um, Brook?”
“Yeah?”
“I’m sorry I stood you up for drinks at your place.”
Brook’s eyebrows crept higher. “Me too.” Where was this going?
Without warning Daniel leaned forward and kissed him. Brook groaned and immediately opened his mouth to deepen the kiss, welcoming in the tentative touch of Daniel’s tongue. With his good hand, Brook reached up and threaded his hand through Daniel’s mop of light brown hair. His pretty gray eyes were at half-mast as their kiss stretched on but Brook recognized the heat in them.
“I was so scared you were going to die before I could do that,” Daniel whispered against their joined lips.
Brook licked Daniel’s bottom lip. “You can kiss me anytime you want, Daniel. Any. Fucking. Time.”  Tomorrow him and Daniel were going to go on a real date. He was done trying to be subtle. He sucked at it anyway.
Daniel jerked back suddenly. “Oh my God. I didn’t come in here for that.” His face was twelve shades of red. “I’m so sorry. You’re recovering. I’ll, uh, I gotta go.”
He whipped around so quickly that he was pretty sure that he was going to give himself whiplash.
“Wait! We’re not done here,” Brook said, desperation clawing its way into his chest. He didn’t want Daniel to run away again. “I want to be with you.”
Daniel paused, turned. “What could someone like you ever want with someone like me?” he asked, sounding completely bewildered.
“You’re kidding right? Daniel, you’re so fucking hot. I think about you all the time.” Well, that sounded shallow as fuck. “I mean, you’re really cool too. I just want to date you.” Wow, I trip over my tongue extraordinarily.
“You don’t have to make fun of me,” Daniel whispered, looking hurt. “You don’t have to tell me I’m hot if you want sex. You could have anyone.”
Brook blinked. Were they even having the same conversation?
“I’m not. I really like you.”
Daniel shook his head, denying it. “Stop it, Brooklyn. It isn’t nice.”
Brook snorted. “What are we, six? Get over here and talk to me properly.”
“I can’t.”
The man practically ran from the room. Brook stared at his retreating back completely confused. How had everything gotten fucked up so quickly over a damn kiss?   

3 comments:

  1. I am so ready for this book it stopped being funny a long time ago! :D
    Sheesus. I need it like yesterday & can't wait until I can finally get my grabby hands on it :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be the longest wait ever! I'm so looking forward to this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *A* OMG!! oohh~~ This is so exciting! lol... thanks for the update. glad you're doing well, just busy. lol...
    <3 <3 eek! I can hardly wait! <3

    ReplyDelete